Friday, May 20, 2011

Mysterious Coon Song from 1928

The album is called "Black Blues in the Segregation Era". It's put out by Document Records. Amazon.com has an MP3 that you can purchase of a song on this album called the "Mysterious Coon" .
My band, The Hokum Scorchers, did their own version of this song in 1990 with Lou Reimuller singing and playing a National guitar and a National mandolin. I played washboard on this tinpan alley style song.
It was originally recorded by a group of musicians in 1928 from Mississippi (in Atlanta, GA) called "Alec Johnson and his Band" - Alec sang vocal, accompanied by Bo Chatmon & Charlie McCoy, Joe McCoy.
I posted this blog entry a few years ago, but this morning I uploaded the song to my tumbler because I had a request for it:
(recorded in 1990)

No comments: